Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 45nm processor
Asus P5K64 WS Intel P35 motherboard
Kingston HyperX PC3-13000 2 gig kit
XFX geForce 8600GT Ultimate Overclock
250 gig Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.0 HDD
160 gig Hitachi Deskstar SATA 3.0 HDD
Thermaltake M9 mid tower
Of course, installation is simple: put the PSU in the PC case, plug in all needed connectors and hide the extra wires.
There was one issue with installation. The location of the voltage switch is a little close to the edge of the PSU and conflicts with the case. This is the third PSU I've had in this case, and there were no problems with the others. It won't be a big deal to fix, but will need some attention.
To begin testing, I used my old trusty multimeter. The +5v rail showed 5.03v, and +12 was at 12.31v.
Then, I launched OCCT. OCCT is a CPU benchmark program that runs a 30 minute test stressing the CPU. The cool thing about OCCT is that as it stresses the CPU, it runs a chart of each voltage, using Speedfan or Everest to monitor the voltages. So, we can use this graph to see any voltage variance during the test. To make things interesting, I ran other applications while OCCT was running, to see if I could stress the PSU enough to drop +12v. On power supplies larger than 650 watts or so, today's energy efficient CPUs probably aren't going to affect the voltage much if at all.
The only issue with doing this alone is that evidently, both Speedfan and Everest have some kind of problem with Vista, both 32 and 64 bit versions, because they both give the wrong voltages in each version of Vista, at least on my rigs. I guess that is the problem anyway, because the voltages are correct both in the BIOS hardware monitor and in Asus PC Probe II. That isn't a problem, because I am also monitoring the multimeter while running the program, so I still have a graph of voltage flutter; only the baseline is off.
As you can see in the chart, the Warlock 750 wasn't affected by anything I did during the first 26 minutes of the test. During that time, I defragged a drive, did some Photoshop work, ran a couple of memory benchmarks (Sandra memory and memory latency) and cranked the case and GPU fans up to full. Remember, during this entire time, the CPU is being stressed from 65% to 95%. At 26 minutes, I did the acid test. I fired up ATITool, with its little fuzzy cube. That stresses the GPU to 100%, and I have tested only one PSU so far this way that experienced no voltage drop (it had one large single +12v rail).
The Apevia Warlock 750 did experience a drop, but only 0.1v, which is the best I've seen so far using this test with a multiple rail PSU. Keep in mind that the GPU in question is a geForce 8600GT, and I'd expect a larger drop with a more powerful video card, such as something in the 8800 series. But even with as much as ten times the drop, which isn't going to happen, the Warlock 750 would still be within the +/- 10% industry standard.