The NZXT IU01 USB Expansion comes with a brief user install guide, the USB module itself, USB extension cable and Molex power adapter. The module PCB has connectors for the USB extension and power input on one end, and three USB headers plus two standard female USB type A jacks.
Installation of the IU01 should be fairly self-explanatory for most users, if you can assemble your own computer and connect the cable from your case front USB panel to your motherboard, then you can hook up the IU01 USB Expansion. The image above shows the module with power adapter and extension cable plugged in and ready to attach to a system. Once connected, the module itself has an adhesive strip of Velcro that can be positioned on an available flat surface inside the case, possibly the bottom panel or the motherboard tray. Your front panel cables can then be moved to the IU01 and any extra USB devices plugged in.
Upon connecting the IU01 to my motherboard USB header and plugging in the power, Windows 7 recognized new hardware as a PCI to USB Host Controller and USB Root Hub. When I connected my OCZ Diesel 2GB USB Flash Drive, shown here as USB Mass Storage Device, Windows initially gave me a warning about the port not supporting the HI-SPEED USB device. This warning typically means you have plugged a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.0 or 1.1 port, and the device will be forced to operate at a much slower speed. I went back and checked my connections and all seemed to be in order, so I decided to proceed with some testing.
Rather than connect my front panel USB to the IU01, I elected to leave this plugged directly into one of the other motherboard headers. I tested file transfer speed by moving some large files back and forth between the flash drive and disk array, and I found that the throughput was the same regardless of whether I had the drive plugged into the IU01, a port on the case front panel or if I connected it directly to one of the motherboard rear USB ports. The warning about the port speed must have been either erroneous or caused by a poor connection that was subsequently fixed by me rechecking that everything was plugged securely in place.