I have reviewed several coolers so far that arrived complete with LGA 1156 hardware. Three of those have “all in one” baseplates that accommodates LGA 775, LGA 1156, and LGA 1366. Additionally, two of those allowed for AMD mounting with the same baseplate. I'm wondering if this is not a trend; it seems to me to make sense.
The Prolimatech Megahalems has been around since the first part of this year and has been very successful. Prolimatech has refitted the Megahalems for LGA 1156 and calls it the “Megahalems Rev B”. They also have the mounting hardware available to fit the original Megahalems to LGA 1156. It sells at their vendors for 7-10 bucks. I know that sounds a little steep, but if you read further in this review, you will see just how extensive it is and why it costs so much.
Prolimatech has also released a new version of the Megahalems. It is a Megahalems that has been covered with a beautiful black nickel plate and sports LGA 1156 hardware so it will fit every enthusiast Intel CPU built in the past five years or so. But under that shiny black nickel finish, it still is a Megahalems at heart. Today I will be looking at this cooler, the Prolimatech Mega Shadow Deluxe Edition. Will it keep my LGA 1156 i7 870 nice and cool? Read on to see!
Model: Mega Shadow Deluxe Edition
Dimensions: 5.11” x 2.91” x 6.24” (130mm x 74mm x158.7mm)
Weight: 1.74 lbs (790 grams)
Cooler Material: Aluminum Fins, Copper Heatpipes, Copper Base
Heatpipes: 6 x 6mm Heatpipes
Air Flow: 57CFM
Fan: N/A (capability of running two fans)
Suggested Fan Size: 120mm x 120mm x 25mm
Suggested Fan Speed: 600-1200 RPM for silent running, 1600 RPM for best performance
• Black nickel plated to preserve top quality.
• Minimal air resistance between fins allowing best balance between noise and performance in range of 800-1200RPM. For all out performance, fan RPM at 1600 or above is recommended.
• Heatpipes are lined up in a straight line to prevent air back draft allowing air to easily pass through the heatsink body.
• Wide fins with mathematically calculated thickness to maximize best air-to-surface cooling rate.
• Uniquely designed, easy-to-install retention mechanism to increase cooling ability.
• Supports Intel Socket 775, 1136, and the new 1156.
• Includes two sets of fan clips for a duo-fan (push-pull) set up.